Sunday, February 9, 2014

-Train Ride-

Once on the train, I searched the floor for anything interesting; a gum wrapper, some trash and a gold pin. I picked it up and examined the details. It was a broche from a cheap pawn shop, I could tell because the sticker on the back was half ripped off reading “PINKI’S PAWN SHO”. Pinki’s was down the street from the parlor I used to work. I dropped the pin, nothing exciting. The train was in full motion now. We had entered a tunnel. The darkness through the windows was gruesome, so dark you could only see your reflection in the glass. I looked down again, trying to find something to keep me busy. I came upon some shoes, old man shoes. They were shiny black leather loafers but it was obvious they had been worn before. The laces choked the man’s foot. I could tell. His pants, on the other hand, were quite large for this frame and so was his coat. It was like he bought an entire suit a size too big, and was too lazy to ever return it. Or maybe it was a gift. I scanned this man’s attire all the way up until his face; I didn’t much care for that.

The petite woman beside me smirked at her Kindle. I leaned over to see what she was reading. The glowing screen read “The Misadventures of Arachna and Mr. Butler.” I continued reading, over her shoulder, about some evil witch and her butler who hatch a plan to kill their penny-pinching land owner. We got to page seventy before she noticed my heavy breathing over shoulder. She closed her Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment